Following the success of our inaugural conference last year in Cyprus, Taxlinked returned with #TLTaxCon19 to explore new trends in international law and taxation and revisit the latest hot topics from different perspectives. From the outset, our conference’s main mission has been to combine knowledge exchange and lively discussion via our trend-setting and insightful keynote speakers and panels with ample professional and social networking opportunities in a jovial and convivial setting. Our conference attendees are company founders, managing partners of tax, law and consultancy firms, financial service providers, accountants, and tax and corporate lawyers, mainly from Europe but also the United States, Canada and Latin America.
5 reasons you shouldn’t miss future Taxlinked conferences!
- A dynamic agenda with impressive keynotes & a group of rock star panelists ready to challenge each other on the debate floor.
- An excellent chance to stay on top of all that is happening in the financial services sector, particularly in Europe.
- Break bread and crack open bottles of wine with peers from all over globe as part of our lively networking and social events.
- Earn 12 CPD credits.
- Held on a yearly basis in wonderful, history-packed, cosmopolitan destinations.
What was discussed
- Is the USA the World’s Favorite (and Best) Tax Haven
- DAC6 Directive: A Closer Analysis of Its “Hallmarks”
- Revisiting Brexit & International Taxation: What Now?
- The Trials & Tribulations of Taxing the Digital Economy
- Permanent Establishment & Profit Attribution as Defined by BEPS
- The 5th Money Laundering Directive (5MLD): A Step Too Far?
- Current Developments in Spanish Taxation
- A Study in Contrasts: Public Beneficial Ownership Registers vs. Europe’s GDPR
- Transparency & Data Protection: Is the Pendulum about to Swing Back?
Let's be social!
Networking opportunities are at the core of #TLTaxCon19. Elegant dinners, cocktail parties, networking lunches and guided wine tastings offer participants plenty of time meet, socialize and develop the professional bonds (and hopefully lifelong friendships) that will help your business reach for the sky.
Some of the events planned this time around included a night out with Crazy Red Balls; a Spanish wine tasting led by an acclaimed local wine connoisseur; an evening dedicated to endless tapas, and; a snazzy cocktail reception to help you unwind. Curious for more? Check out our Social Events section HERE.
Keynote speakers & panelists
- Dr. Nicholas Ryder, Professor of Financial Crime, UWE Bristol, UK
- Brigida Galbete, Senior Tax Associate, Cuatrecasas, Spain
- Filippo Noseda, Partner, Mischon de Reya, and Visiting Professor, King's College, UK
- Stella Raventós-Calvo, Partner, Dabury Abogados, Spain
- Ronaldo Apelbaum, Tax Partner, APGI Advogados, Brazil
- Dr. Sameer Al Ansari, CEO, RAK International Corporate Centre, UAE
- Dr. Peter A. Wilson, PB First Global Tax Advisors, UAE
- Jimmy Sexton, CEO, Esquire Group, UAE & USA
- David Martinez, Business Integrity and Transparency Manager, Transparency International, Spain
- Cristina Villanova, Lawyer, Cases & Lacambra, Spain
- Vasiliki Petrou, Corporate Lawyer, Meridian Trust – Corporate & Fiduciary Services, Cyprus
- John Richardson, Lawyer, Citizenship Solutions, Canada
- Todd Buell, Senior Correspondent, Law360 & MLex, Belgium
- Jaume Perello, Senior Associate, Cuatrecasas, Barcelona, Spain
Professor of Financial Crime,
The 5th Money Laundering Directive (5MLD): A Step Too Far?
This presentation provided a critical analysis on the aims and scope of the Fifth Money Laundering Directive (5MLD). Dr. Nicolas Ryder appraised several integral amendments that the 5MLD makes to the Fourth Money Laundering Directive (4MLD), which includes the regulation of virtual currencies, pre-paid cards, registers for beneficial ownership, enhanced due diligence and its increased scope.
Current Developments in Spanish Taxation
Are you up-to-date with all that’s trending in Spanish taxation? This presentation led by Spanish law firm Cuatrecasas discussed the current developments in our host country’s tax system with a particular focus on its role in the international arena. Listen in to learn all about Spain’s position vis-à-vis the OECD and EU tax initiatives and plenty more.
Mischon de Reya,
Transparency & Data Protection: Is the Pendulum about to Swing Back?
Over the past few years, bankers, family offices and investment managers have had to contend with a number of rules affecting international clients, including FATCA, the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and beneficial ownership registers.
These developments form part of everyday life and they are here to stay. However, there are huge data protection issues (risk of hacking, data breaches), and Mishcon de Reya has brought the first case against HMRC based on the new GDPR rules.
This presentation looked at some of the implications and what they might mean for you and your clients.