Antigua & Barbuda Permanent Residency Scheme

10 October 2017

The Permanent Residency Program of Antigua & Barbuda was introduced in 1995 to encourage wealthy individuals to establish Antigua tax residency, however it has remained relatively unheard of despite offering one of the most tax favourable and flexible residency options in the world.

As a low tax, offshore jurisdiction free from personal income tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and wealth tax, it offers wide range of opportunities as part of a wealth protection strategy, as does the country’s Citizenship by Investment Program, launched in 2013.

To become a permanent resident of Antigua & Barbuda, an individual is required to:

  • Maintain a permanent place of abode in Antigua & Barbuda (either leased or purchased)
  • Spend a minimum of 30 days per year in Antigua & Barbuda
  • Annual income must exceed US$100,000
  • Pay annual levy of US$20,000

Successful applicants will be issued a Certificate of Registration of Permanent Residency, and a Tax Identification Number.

Permanent residency is open to individuals of all nationalities, and is especially useful for economic citizens of Antigua, who may have already purchased real estate when applying to the Citizenship by Investment Program.

Spending 30 days in one of the top Caribbean vacation destinations each year gives residents the flexibility to travel for the majority of the year, and reside in multiple jurisdictions.

Tax advice should be sought in alternative jurisdictions to assess residency restrictions. For example, U.K. citizens who are tax resident in another country have a limited amount of time they can spend each year in the U.K. if they are not to be considered tax resident there, and the time allowance depends on how many financial ties they have to the U.K. Canadian citizens can currently spend up to 6 months per year at home in Canada if they are tax resident elsewhere*.

Please contact the Citizens International team to learn more about the process of obtaining Antigua Tax Residency.

*Professional tax advice should be sought in each jurisdiction.